Vietnam attracts thousands of tourists every year, all eager to discover and explore the country. To make sure you see everything Vietnam has to offer, it’s important to plan your trip before starting your adventure.
Multiple socket with plugs
You need to think about what to pack to ensure you can use your personal electronics safely abroad. This usually involves using a travel adapter, a device that allows you to easily plug any UK appliance into an outlet abroad. Note that it does not convert voltage or frequency.
Types Of Power Plug
For Vietnam, there are three related plug types, Type A, Type C, and Type F. A type plug is a plug with two flat parallel pins, a type C plug is a plug with two round pins, and a type F plug has two round pins with two grounding clips on one side. Vietnam operates with a mains voltage of 220 V and 50 Hz.

Voltage Converters and Transformers
Worldwide power supplies can vary between 100V and 240V. Using electrical equipment designed for voltages different from the mains voltage can be very dangerous.

Since the voltage varies from country to country, you may need to use a voltage converter or transformer in Vietnam. If the frequency deviates, it will also affect the normal operation of electronic equipment. For example, a 50 Hz clock runs faster on a 60 Hz supply. Most voltage converters and transformers come with plug adapters, so you probably won’t need to buy a travel adapter separately.

All converters and transformers have a maximum power rating (AMPS or WATT), so make sure any equipment you plan to use does not exceed that power rating.

Devices with two nominal voltages
You can tell if you need a converter or transformer by the nameplate on the device.

For example, dual voltage devices will display “INPUT: 110-240V” on the device body or power supply. This means you don’t need a converter or transformer, just a travel adapter, as Vietnam operates on 220V mains voltage, which is in the 110-240V range that dual voltage devices operate.

Single voltage device
In Vietnam, the power supply voltage is 220V. If the device or its power supply is not dual voltage rated, the device must be single voltage with a voltage converter or converter for safe and proper operation of the device (unless the device is 220V powered).

Converters and transformers perform similar functions, but their applications are different. Converters are typically used for equipment that operates for a short time (1-2 hours), while most transformers can be used for equipment that operates continuously.

It is important to understand that some travel adapters are not suitable for devices that require grounding. These types of travel adapters should only be used with double-insulated devices clearly marked with the symbols shown below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *